History of the Practice
The original surgery premises, 35 Hambledon Road
The surgery originated with a Dr T Fraser and the premises were at 35 Hambledon Road (see photo above). He retired in 1959 and the practice was taken over by Dr Gerald Caplin who then moved to 1246 Christchurch Road in the 1960s. Dr Margaret Darley came to the practice and they worked together with a Practice Nurse until Dr Caplin retired in December 1986.
Dr Paul Mecklenburgh joined the practice and he and Dr Darley continued to work at Christchurch Road until they developed the idea of building a new modern, purpose built practice in the new Littledown area at Harewood Crescent and moved there in April 1990. They then employed two practice nurses and more staff until Dr Darley retired in 1994.
Dr Karen Lindall joined the practice and stayed for 10 years, incorporating Dr Berni Rogers when she had her maternity leave. Over a period of time we increased our work load and patients and added Dr Fabio Torquati. Dr Mecklenburgh retired in June 2010 leaving Dr Rogers and Dr Torquati as partners employing Dr Matt Murray and Dr Rebecca Carron. We have of course had a number of locum doctors at the practice over this period of time.
Things have changed dramatically since the 1960s, we are computerised, have modernised nursing facilities and a lovely airy reception area but our friendly and helpful staff have always been there throughout the years.