You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Requesting Medical Certificate

If you have a new medical condition or illness for 7 days or more, you will need to speak to a G.P on the telephone to request a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ certificate (Med3), If you have already been issued a Medical certificate (Med3) for an ongoing medical condition or illness, and you need an extension, please request this via our eConsult on the home page

Self Isolation Note

If you require an Isolation note for your employer please follow this link for a down loadable letter from NHS 111 , a copy of which you can then supply to your employer. Please help your Surgery at this very difficult time with self-help items such as this.

Thank you.